Gateau piment (chilli cakes) Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
All Rights Reserved
- 200g yellow split peas
- 1 bunch shallots (spring onions) (finely chopped)
- 1 bunch coriander (finely chopped)
- chillies (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp salt
- Oil for deep frying
Recipes for your iPhone
Find delicious recipes on what ingrediants you already have! Download iPhone app now!
How to make Gateau piment (chilli cakes)
This is a very popular deep fried snack in Mauritius. Nice and crunchy eaten on its own, also delicious in hot crusty bread with butter.
- Wash the split peas and soak overnight.
- Drain, blend, not too finely.
- Add shallots, coriander and salt. Mix well.
- Make small balls, flatten it with your palm and make a small hole in the middle (like a doughnut).
- Heat the oil, deep fry the chili cakes till golden. Drain to remove excess oil.
Serve while still hot, it's crunchy!