Potato Soup Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 1/2 cup (118 mL) white onion, diced
- 6 tablespoons (89 mL) butter
- 2 cups (473 mL) milk
- 2 cups (473 mL) heavy cream
- 4 cups (946 mL) chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons (59 mL) flour
- 6-8 large Russett potatoes
- 8 ounces (237 mL) Pork tasso or rendered bacon
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) saffron
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- cayenne, to taste
Recipes for your iPhone
Find delicious recipes on what ingrediants you already have! Download iPhone app now!
How to make Potato Soup
This is a bare bones, yet hearty recipe for a simple potato soup. Tweak it how you like. Some of my friends for example like to garnish with shredded cheese. Use your imagination.
- Peel and dice the potatoes; boil until fork-tender. Drain the potatoes and set aside.
- Melt the butter over medium heat, add the onions and sautee until golden. Add the flour and mix well.
- Add the cream, milk, and chicken stock; bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and add the tasso (optional), thyme, and saffron (optional). Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes; cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the salt, black pepper, and cayenne to taste. If using bacon instead of tasso, add now.
- Enjoy immediately.