Red Kidney Beans Indian Style! Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 License
- Red Kidney Beans/Rajma - 1 cup
- Water - 4 cups for soaking and 4 cups for steaming
Round 1: (1minute)
- Olive Oil - 1 tablespoon
- Cloves - 7
- Black peppercorns - 6
- Cinnamon - 1'' stick
- Onions - 2 medium
- Tomatoes - 3 medium
- Ginger garlic paste
- Coriander powder - 3 teaspoons
- Turmeric - 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder - 1-2 teaspoons
- Meat masala/powder - 1 teaspoon
- 6 hours soaking
- 20minutes steaming
- 5minutes saute
- 5minutes extra steam
- Pressure cooker
- Wide cooking pan
Recipes for your iPhone
Find delicious recipes on what ingrediants you already have! Download iPhone app now!
How to make Red Kidney Beans Indian Style!
This seems a bit complicated if you are not used to soaking lentils a few hours before you plan to cook them. But once they are soaked and ready to cook, very little involvement is needed!
We like eating this with brown rice and spicy liver!
- Add 4 cups of water to the kidney beans and set them for a steam in the pressure cooker. Start with a high flame and switch over to a low flame after the first whistle. Let it steam for 20 minutes from now.
- Once the beans are done steaming and you are able to remove the pressure cooker weight and open the cooker, start the saute.
- In a fresh cooking pan kept on a medium flame, add the following:
- Toss in the peppercorns, cinnamon stick and cloves in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- After 1 minute add the onions, tomatoes and ginger garlic paste and stir for 3 minutes until everything's mixed in really well.
- Now add the masalas/powders and stir for another minute.
- Your mixture is now ready and you can add this to the rajma in the cooker.
- Set it to steam on a high flame and switch to a low flame after the first whistle. You do not need to add any extra water at this point.
This is quite a simple recipe and you can tinker around with the flavours once you get the consistency right.