Seafood in a Tomato Broth with Saffron Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 5 plum tomatoes coarsely chopped
- one white onion coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 big can of Italian tomatoes
- 2 lbs of your favorite seafood (I used 1/2 lb scallops & clams, and a small piece of tuna)
- handful of fresh parsley coarsely chopped
- a couple of sprigs of oregano and thyme, leaves only
- 2 cups of water
- splash of wine (white or red) *optional
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- pinch of saffron
- salt & pepper to taste
Recipes for your iPhone
Find delicious recipes on what ingrediants you already have! Download iPhone app now!
How to make Seafood in a Tomato Broth with Saffron
Cover the bottom of deep pot (cast iron if you have one) with olive oil. Add garlic and onion, season with salt. Add 1/2 of parsley, oregano, thyme and pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. Cook for 3-5 minutes then add tomatoes. Season again with salt.
Cook until the tomatoes soften, about 10 minutes. Be careful not to burn. Optional - add a splash of wine. Mix and cook for a minute or two. Add water.
Add canned tomatoes and juice (crush tomatoes). Cook for about 15 - 20 minutes, lower heat if necessary.
Meantime, cut fish into big chunks. Season fish with salt.
Transfer seafood into the pot and cover with lid.
Cook until shellfish open and fish is no longer transluscent.
Served with TJ's Tuscan Pane bread (toasted) to mop up the juicy goodness.