Open Cola Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
All ingredients listed are in metric units. Flavoring
- 3.50 mL orange oil
- 1.00 mL lemon oil
- 1.00 mL nutmeg oil
- 1.25 ml cassia (cinnamon) oil
- 0.25 mL coriander oil
- 0.25 mL neroli oil (similar to petitgrain, bergamot, or bitter orange oil)
- 2.75 mL lime oil
- 0.25 mL lavender oil
- 10.0 g food-grade, NOT ART-GRADE gum arabic (thickener)
- 3.00 mL water
- 5 mL flavoring
- 17.5 mL 75% citric acid or phosphoric acid
- 2.00 L water
- 2.00 kg granulated white sugar
- 2.5 mL caffeine (optional as it won't change taste of drink)
- 30.0 mL caramel color
Recipes for your iPhone
Find delicious recipes on what ingrediants you already have! Download iPhone app now!
How to make Open Cola
- Mix the oils together.
- Add gum arabic and mix completely.
- Add water and mix well. For this step, use a hand mixer or blender to thoroughly mix together.
- The flavoring can be made in advance and stored for use later.Place in a sealed glass jar and place in the refrigerator or keep at room temperature. When stored, the oils and water will separate. Just mix again before use. When used, the gum arabic will keep things together.
- Mix 5 mL of flavoring with the phosphoric or citric acid.
- Mix the water and sugar and, while mixing, add caffeine if desired.
- Make sure that the caffeine is completely dissolved before moving on to the next step.
- Pour the acid and flavoring mixture slowly into the water/sugar mixture (adding acid to water reduces the risk of acid splashes compared to the other way around)
- Add caramel color and mix completely.
- 1Mix one part of concentrate with five parts water. In other words, however much you use of the concentrate, use five times as much of water.
- Carbonate the beverage. There are a few ways this can be accomplished:
- Carbonate the beverage yourself,
- Mix soda water directly with the concentrate, instead of water in the previous step, or
- Use a soda fountain that will combine the concentrate with carbonated water at the tap.