Caramelized Dark Soy Chicken Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 License
2 pieces whole leg of chicken
2 tbsp kicap manis (kicap pekat)
1 tbsp oyster sauce
¼ tsp black pepper
2 tbsp oil (peanut or canola for preference)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 star anise
½ stick cinnamon
¼ carrot, cut into 1 ½ inch sticks
1 tbsp mirin (japanese sweet rice wine)
1 tbsp aged shaoxing rice wine
1 tbsp light soy sauce
¼ cup water (or stock)
2 stalks chinese chives, cut into 1 ½ inch stalks
½ red onion, cut into slivers
Recipes for your iPhone
Find delicious recipes on what ingrediants you already have! Download iPhone app now!
How to make Caramelized Dark Soy Chicken
- Cut the chicken legs into pieces. Marinate in kicap manis, oyster sauce and black pepper for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry the garlic, star anise and cinnamon on medium heat until aromatic.
- Add the carrot sticks and marinated chicken (and the marinade) to the wok and fry for 3 minutes on high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the mirin, shaoxing wine and soy sauce, and simmer for 1 minute until almost evaporated.
- Pour the water or stock down the side of the wok to deglaze. Cover and simmer on medium heat for approximately 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked and the sauce is viscous.
- Add the chives and onion, stir well to mix. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot with rice.