Chilled Wakame and Cucumber Salad Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 License
Ingredients- 1 Pickle Cucumber
- 1 Pinch Dried Wakame
- 1 Pinch Bonito Flakes
- 1 Pinch Red Chilli Flakes / Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Soy Sauce (Optional)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Kimchii Base
- 1/4 Teaspoon Vinegar
- 1/8 Teaspoon Mirin
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ponzu
- Sesame Oil (To Taste)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Pinch White Pepper
- Toasted Sesame Seeds (Optional)
- 1 cup Hot Water
- 1 cup Ice cold Water + Ice Cubes
Recipes for your iPhone
Find delicious recipes on what ingrediants you already have! Download iPhone app now!
How to make Chilled Wakame and Cucumber Salad
First of all, HI! I'm very very new here, so please please if I have some errors on my recipe-writing forgive me! I'm trying my best to proof-read and so! :)
Here we go, as a start I'm going to let you know that this recipe is very complicated in measuring. Since I'm writing this recipe for one. Some of the ingredients are to taste. If you like it spicier you can add more Kimchii Base or Red Chilli Flakes/Powder if you like it milder you put less.
1. Let's start with the cucumber. I usually do this recipe a day in advance because the more the cucumber marinates the better the taste is. First, slice the cucumber thinly (round shape) about 0.5cm each. The thinner the better actually.
2. Then rub the thinly sliced cucumber gently with salt and pepper, do not press the cucumber. Leave it for 5-10 minutes, until the juice from the cucumber leaks out.
3. Wash the cucumber with the water, make sure there isn't any salt left. After that, add Red Chilli Flakes / Powder (If you like a cleaner texture use Red Chilli Powder), Soy Sauce (Totally optional, taste the cucumber first! if you feel that the salt wasn't enough, add it up), Kimchii Base, Vinegar, and Sesame oil (To taste)
4. Mix everything together and let the cucumber mingle with the marinate in the fridge for 20 minutes - 1 day. Occasionally you should throw away the excess marinate, since after the cucumber sits on it, it will leak out more water. And of course you don't want a dense salty taste on the cucumber. The taste we're looking for is, sour, spicy, and salty balanced!! :)
5. Okay enough about the cucumber. Right before serving, pull out appetizer plate and line up the cucumber as your base.
6. Then pour 1 cup of a steamy hot water on a bowl. This way we can soak the Dried Wakame. The trick of having crunchy-yet-soft wakame is to blanch this wakame for about 2-3 seconds in the hot water then plunge it on the ice cold water. This way it will reserve the color, and stop them from being too soft.
7. After the cold water, drizzle the wakame with ponzu sauce. Place it on top of the cucumber on the plate. Then top it with Bonito Flakes add Sesame Seeds if you please, if not... VOILA!!
Enjoy the Chilled Cucumber and Wakame Salad, It is best to make the wakame to order, if not this salad don't sit well too long on the table. You could always play with the platting to make it elegant or your style. You can pair it with a chilled sake it.
Always remember a good-looking and tasty meal doesn't have to be complicated! =]